In honor of Fat Tuesday, this months diabetic recipe is this wonderful chicken, shrimp, and andouille jambalaya.
- 1 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped,with juice
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups stock
- 8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 green onions, finely choppedChange Measurements: US | Metric
Prep Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 1 1/4 hr
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2 In a large pan or Dutch oven, brown chicken in hot oil on both sides; remove and drain.
- 3 Add andouille, onion, celery, bell pepper, thyme, oregano, paprika, salt, and cayenne pepper to the pan, cooking and stirring for about 5 minutes until onions are tender.
- 4 Add rice, tomatoes with juice, and broth; bring to a boil.
- 5 Place rice mixture in a baking dish or oven-proof casserole; top with chicken; cover (can use foil) and bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until rice and chicken are done and tender.
- 6 Stir in shrimp, parsley, and green onions; cover and cook 5-8 minutes longer or until shrimp curl and turn bright pink and serve.